Thursday, March 9, 2017

A Nice Day for a Hike

I just can't seem to get out very often and hike or walk lately.  I get a couple of good ones in, and then I get side tracked.  Either I have the time and the weather is awful, so I don't hike.  Or the weather is beautiful but I have other commitments and don't have the time.

Today, everything worked out fine for me and Finn.  It rained pretty much over the last several days, so I knew my normal hiking nature trail would be too muddy.  I can handle the mud OK, as long as it isn't too slippery.  However, Finn's belly seems to pick up a lot of muddy gunk when it's muddy.

Today, we hiked the West Trail, which is a paved trail.  We hike from the parking lot to the Winton Rd bridge and then turn around and walk back to the parking lot.  So, we hiked about 1.8 miles.  Not real long, but long enough since I haven't been out for a while.

Over the winter whenever we hike this trail, we always pass two Canadian Geese near the ranger's station.  Of course, I always say "Hi" to them as we pass but give them plenty of room.  Today, we passed them on the other side of the path down closer to the Winton Lake Tributary.






I thought this was a pretty neat little picture.  The water closer to the fence, is a small pond.  Behind it is the Winton Lake Tributary. 




Finally, two more Canadian Geese in the Winton Lake, near the Winton Road Bridge.  I like the two colors of the water.  The blue color is due to being in the shadow of the bridge.

Looking forward to seeing some green buds soon.  We also passed a spot where the Great Blue Herons roost in March/April.  We checked out the rookery, but didn't see any activity yet.  We saw two hawks flying overhead, but couldn't get a picture of them.  All in all it was a nice hike.


No comments: