Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Hiking for Health, Fun and Wildlife!

I've been really pushing myself to get out as often as I can to walk with Finn.  I'm seriously starting to watch what I eat, and how much.  I've also given up wine!!!  Arg!!  I'm trying to watch my sodium and fat content.  Last week, I wanted to donate blood at church and they wouldn't allow me to donate...my blood pressure was too high.  I used to take meds for blood pressure years ago, but then I lost about 49 pounds and everything went back to normal.  Well, I've put most of that weight back on...stupid me.  I have a checkup appointment next month, so I'm seeing what I can do in the meantime to get that blood pressure and weight down.  I feel like I've lost some weight in just a short week, but I have lots to go yet.

One night while driving home from church, we decided to take the scenic route through Winton Woods.  It was dusk, so I was on the lookout for deer.  There is a little side road that is rarely traveled so we drove through there, and were not disappointed.

Can you see these two cuties?  If not, look for their black noses.

 We turned around at the dead end, and coming back out, one of the deer came out to say "Hi".  Since it was dusk, the pictures are a little dark.
Today, Finn and I got out for another hike.  The following picture, is of a high water gauge down by Winton Lake.  I must have passed this hundreds of times, but this is the first I've noticed it.  Looks like it's been here for a while.  The measurements go up pretty high.  The lake is muddy and a bit high.
When we finished our hike, I decided to drive back on that same little side road that we drove on the night before.  This time I spotted this big guy...I'm pretty sure it's a red tailed hawk.  I only had the camera on my phone and he was pretty high up in the tree, so the focus isn't that great.  By the markings on his chest, I'm sure its a red tailed hawk.

I think this picture is kind of cool...even though it's far away.  See the hawk sitting out on the limb?

Here is a cropped picture.  A little fuzzy.  I guess he wasn't hungry.  He doesn't seem interested in the bird sitting close by.
Another picture of the same hawk.


1 comment:

Marilyn said...

I'm glad to see you are back to hiking (with Finn of course). I was able to see the deer in the woods. I also saw the hawk in the tree before you enlarged it. Great pictures. I have found that the older I get the harder it is to lose weight. I gained quite a bit when Jim was sick and after he died. I do a lot of what I call nervous eating. Anyway, I have lost about 1/3 of what I gained. Still trying to get rid of all of it. I guess I'm not trying as hard as I should.