Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Of Hikes, Hawks and Port-a-lets! What?!

I've been busy getting out for my 2 mile daily hikes.  Last week, was 6 days in a row.  I took a break on Sunday because I was tired and it was raining.  I do hike when it rains, I just hike paved trails and take an umbrella, but Sunday I thought I deserved a break.

This week, so far, I've hiked two days in a row.  Getting out really makes me feel good!

I'm almost finished "counting birds" for the season for Cornell Lab of Ornithology.   Next Sunday and Monday will be my last two days of counting until November 2017.  Since I didn't walk this past Sunday, I spent a lot of extra time watching the birds.  I counted up to 22 different species.  For the first time I saw a Chipping Sparrow...two in fact.  Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures.

I saw this big guy swoop through though.  He landed on a tree at the back of our property.  I wish I could have gotten clearer pictures, but are happy with these.



Our street (which is about a mile long) has been under road construction for at least 3 months.  They are replacing sewers, new curbs and eventually repaving.  The street looks like a war zone with pot holes, cones, metal plates, heavy duty machinery.  Many driveways have been torn up...I think ours will be one very soon.

We are trying to figure out how soon they will hit our driveway and we won't be able to get in or out.  I'm sure they will give us a little warning...let's hope so any way.  Our son is coming up from Florida on April 11th and he wants to drive his large SUV (we call it "The Tank") back to Florida.  So, today we moved The Tank over to our other vacant property in Mt Healthy, just in case we're trapped when he arrives.  Hopefully, it will be safe over there until he comes.

Here is the view from our house of the construction.  Love the port-a-let on the corner.  Yikes!!  It's getting closer!


1 comment:

Marilyn said...

Wow! You sure have been busy. Glad to see you are getting in so many hikes. Love your bird pictures. Hope you survive the construction. Marilyn