Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Springlike Hike

The weather here in February has been unusually mild.  Temperatures have been in the 50s and 60s.  So Finn and I have been hitting the trails more than usual at this time of year.

Most of the vegetation is still brown with trees still leafless.  So, there weren't too many opportunities to take pictures. 

My son Eric and I were discussing this old foundation that has been on the side of the trail for many years.  We think it may have been an old spring house.  Back in the 70s and 80s when we hiked these trails with our kids, the parks used to provide trail pamphlets that explained the different things along the trails.  Eric ran into one of the park naturalists the next day who said she didn't realize the foundation was there.  She asked Eric to take a picture and send it to her along with the location.  Imagine that!  Us telling the naturalist where things are in the park.  I thought that was funny.


This little fungi is usually white.  I just thought the green (though actually kind of gross) perks it up a little.
Looking over one of the bridges, I spotted these cute little "hands" imprinted in the mud.  There are plenty of raccoons in this park.
Today, Finn and I spotted our first duck of the season in the Kingfisher stream.  It was great seeing Mr. Mallard!  Spring isn't too far away for sure!
A longer look of the Kingfisher stream.  You can see part of the other trail on the opposite side of the stream.




1 comment:

Marilyn said...

Thanks for taking me along on your hike. Between my hips and knees I don't get to hike any more, so it's nice when I can join you. Love the pictures and comments.