Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Kingfisher Trail 3/29/2016

It's been a while since Finn and I hiked Kingfisher Trail in Winton Woods.  It was a nice crisp morning with only a few people on the trail.  A couple walking a dog and 3 young boys on bikes.  Bikes are not allowed on the trails, but I've learned over the years people believe those rules are for other people not for them.  I used to say something to the kids, but they always acted innocent and just kept going any way, so I've given up.  They're just going to do what they want to do any way.

There are 3 portions to this trail.  The lower trail where the first two pictures were taken down by the creek.  There is also an upper portion of the trail.  There is also an "unofficial" portion in between the bottom and top.





I don't know if you can see the tiny yellow flowers among the spring grass, but it looked like a beautiful carpet.  The creek is in the background.












Another shot of the creek farther along the trail.








 This picture was taken from the upper portion.

A lot of the trees in Winton Woods have been cut down due to the Emerald Ash Borer infesting so many of the trees.  This particular tree is one where every year we saw Black Racer snakes sunning themselves in the spring.  Since the tree has been cut down I wasn't sure if we'd still see snakes in the tree.  No snakes today...I looked around in nearby trees and on the ground too.




This picture was also taken from the upper portion.  If you look into the background you can probably see the boardwalk, which is the beginning of the trail on the bottom portion.

The path in the middle of this picture is what I call the "unauthorized" portion of the trail.






Taken from the upper trail.  Another pile of cut down trees.  The forest has really been opened up.  Of course I prefer the canopy of trees...especially during the hot weather.








We usually hike the trail twice.  First in one direction, then turn around and go in the opposite direction.  The lower trail was quite muddy this morning, so on our second time around we decided to take the "unofficial" middle trail back out.  I can always kick off my muddy hiking boots, but I wanted to give Finn's underbelly time to dry out before we got back into the car.  He's such a short little guy.  He sits on an old sheet in the passenger seat.  This is a photo of the beginning of the "unofficial" middle trail.







Finally, the nice bright forsythia bush at the end of our hike near the parking lot.

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

Loved the forsythia bush. So sad that we are losing so many trees. Sounds like you enjoyed your hike. I just hike around my yard.

TexWisGirl said...

hi ginny. :) love the tree shadows and the beautiful forsythia!