Monday, April 4, 2016

The Close & Highlights of a Season of "Counting Birds"

The bird counting season has come to a close.  I have counted birds for the Cornell Lab of Ornithology Project Feederwatch Program for six years now.  The season runs from November through April.  Participants pick two days in a row of the week to count birds species that visit their site. We then log onto their website and enter our counts.  We can also enter behavioral data between species.

I have learned a lot over the years.  I'm finally able to distinguish some of their bird songs/calls too.  In the dimness of morning and of evening, it can sometimes be difficult to see the birds clearly, but now I've been able to distinguish many birds just by their flight patterns.

The little chickadees seem to dart up and down as they head for the feeders.  The red bellied woodpecker swoops down from a tree to land on a feeder.  The big ugly common grackles just seem to drop down out of the sky!

It currently costs $18 a year to participate.  Some people may feel they shouldn't have to pay a fee to collect data, but I think of it as a form of entertainment and a learning experience, which it is.  It is certainly worth the $18 to me!!!

Here are a few pictures/videos of this past year:






These are just simple little houses finches and a red winged black bird.  Pretty common birds, but I liked the contrast in colors in this photo.









An Eastern Towhee on a snowy morning.  I rarely see this bird in our backyard.



A short video of a hawk looking for a bite to eat.  



A couple of pictures of a Northern Flicker.  I just love their markings and colors!


 
This photo though not very clear, has been verified as a Barn Owl.  Barn Owls are endangered in Ohio, so I was very excited to see this guy.
 
 
This will be the sunset of the counting season and this post.



2 comments:

Marilyn said...

Good for you. I wish I knew birds well enough to do a count. I bought two bird books and I am learning. I know I have bluebirds in my backyard and a killdeer in my side yard where there is gravel. I enjoy the birds so I am trying to learn more about them. I know a few others, but I won't go into all of that.

TexWisGirl said...

i love the flickers. and lucky you on the towhee!