Sunday, April 14, 2013

Great Blue Herons are Nesting!! Part One

I posted some snowbirds (part one) the other day, I guess I should continue with them...but I'm not.

Yesterday I drove over to the trail near by home planning on doing my usual two times around.  However, I forgot that it was the annual cleanup the park day.  The parking lot was full of people with black plastic bags and a park dump truck.  Don't get me wrong, I certainly appreciate all the volunteers and what they were accomplishing, but I knew the trail would be full of noise and I didn't need to get in their way.  I was a bit disappointed.

So, I headed for the paved trail which is OK except that my knees don't like the pounding they receive...they prefer the softer ground of a nature trail.  I had new hiking shoes on, so at least I knew they wouldn't get muddy my first day wearing them, so that was a plus.

The biggest plus was when I got to the area where I know the Great Blue Herons nest every year.  It is situated across the lake so it is pretty far away.  I stopped and squinted with these tired old eyes and could definitely spot the Great Blue Heron's distinctive shape.  They were nesting!!!  I took quite a few shots both coming and going on the trail.  Since they were so far away, the pictures are not as clear as I'd like, but you can't definitely see them.  I will posting quite a few of these pictures over the next couple of days.  I'm sorry if they may seem repetitive, but people may see the herons better in one picture or another.  I hope you enjoy these...I was very excited to see them!

This is a full shot of my first picture (I will be posting more of this picture later when I divided the shot in two and brought the birds and bit closer).  I can see at least 10 herons in this shot.  



Another full shot.  I can see at least 7.  Can you see more? I love the heron on the right side flapping it's huge wings.






The last one for today.  Check back tomorrow I'll try to post more.



1 comment:

Nancy said...

Will look forward to more shots Ginger!