Sunday, July 1, 2012

A Tale (tail) of Two Kitties (actually 4)

We went hiking on Saturday, and I invited my husband to come along.  Most times he doesn't come, but this time he agreed.  We did my normal long trail, then he wanted to do another, and I agreed.  As we drove to the trail, we passed this pretty little cat sitting by the side of the road.  We snapped it's picture then continued on.


After we finished the trail, Her decided to do the driving and on the way out drove slow to search for the cat again.  I looked out the opposite side window because I couldn't bear to see the cat sitting out in what was to be 100 degree weather.  Herb spotted the cat, got out of the car and the cat walked toward him.  Herb picked up the cat and put him in the car!!  What is wrong with this man!  He normally doesn't do things like that!
We stopped at our vet on the way home and they said to come back in an hour when they had an opening.  We wondered why someone would abandon this pretty little cat.  As soon as we wondered, I had that "Aha!" moment...she is probably pregnant.

Sure enough, the vet confirmed it, but wasn't sure how far along she was.  I frantically called the shelter where I volunteer to see if I could get any advice.  Since she was a stray and pregnant they didn't want to bring her into the shelter until after the kittens were born.  Then they could vaccinate her etc.

Lo and behold, three kittens were born that same night (yesterday)!  So, I guess they'll be staying with us for at least the next 6 weeks.  I love cats, but have never dealt with newborns, so I hope for their sake, I'm doing everything alright.



Mom and babies.

Mom after birth.

The good thing about this other than that they had a nice place to be born instead of 100 degrees in the forest is that it was my husband who picked the cat up...not me!  He feels bad because our cat population has grown to 7...not something we wanted.  I'm glad we helped this little lady though.  I hope they all survive and put some weight on...Mom was quite skinny.  I would consider keeping Mom, but definitely can't handle more than that.  Will keep you all posted.

3 comments:

Ms. Faith McCann's Blogs said...

Oh my goodness! Congratulations! Three years ago we had a similar story happen to us when someone abandoned a beautiful cat, pregnant, at my store. I took her in and a month later she had four babies which brought our total number of cats up to 7! The Goddess seems to find those who can help and she pairs them up with the cats that need them. You were chosen for a reason and those are some very lucky kitties! Good for you and Herb!

TexWisGirl said...

Oh thank you for rescuing her in the nick of time! Bless you both!

Ann On and On... said...

Everything happens for a reason..what a blessing for this cat. I hope the kittens go to a home as good as yours.