Monday, June 13, 2016

Post Op - Week 1

Well, it's almost been a week since I've had left total knee replacement.  All went very well and now I'm in the midst of the hard part...physical therapy!  So far, I'm doing pretty well, pushing myself through the pain and trying to make progress.

I got home from the hospital last Thursday afternoon, and have been trying to adjust my house and my routine to something manageable.  Herb took off several days, but is now back to work.  So, I am home alone part of the time.  It hasn't been bad though, Herb has made my salads etc ahead of time, so I can just grab them and walk myself over to the chair or recliner.

The hardest part is sleeping at night.  So far, I've been sleeping in the recliner.  Finn, who usually sleeps in the bed with us, spent the first night sleeping next to me on the recliner (it's a love seat recliner).  That dog is so smart and sweet!

The next night, two of the cats slept next to me...they're usually in the bed too.  It's like they all know and understand!

I tried sleeping in the bed last night, but that lasted about 90 minutes.  Between all the pillows I had to protect my knee from an animal walking on it, I just couldn't get comfy.

Two physical therapists came today to see how I was doing and they said it was OK to lay on my side, just put a pillow between my knees.  I'm a side sleeper, so we'll see how long that lasts tonight.  The recliner just isn't comfortable any more.

Here are a couple of pictures of Finn while I was laying in bed.  He never lays this way in bed.  It's just so cute he's protecting my knee.



My blood pressure was up a bit today.  Ugh.  The therapists said they will keep an eye on it and if they feel it's necessary they will give my PCP a call.  About 6 years ago I had high blood pressure, but after I lost a lot of weight, it got under control.  Hopefully, I won't need to go back on medication, but if I do, I guess that's what I'll have to do. 

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

Glad to hear all went well. Praying for you to have a speedy recovery. Isn't it amazing how our pets know when we need a little extra TLC.

TexWisGirl said...

glad the surgery went well. continued healing and comfort wished for you.

your pup is adorable.