Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Me vs the Honeysuckle

In preparation for my upcoming surgery, I'm trying to keep ahead of the honeysuckle that seems to sprout up and take off all over the place!

Three years ago, our neighbor decided to pull out all of his bushes that were next to his fence.  My little birds that visit my feeders would have nothing left to perch on as they waited their turn at the feeders.  So, I bought three nice little bushes (I can't recall what they are...it'll come to me eventually).  They flower and then have nice berries that the birds love.  However, he didn't pull out the bushes by the roots, so now we constantly have honeysuckle and other branches hanging over the fence to our side.  I certainly don't want the honeysuckle to strangle my pretty little bushes that are now filling out nicely.

Our neighbor is a nice guy, but he doesn't really bother much with his yard except to cut the grass, so I know he doesn't mind me hacking away at his remnants.  So one evening and yesterday morning, I proceeded out with gardening tools to neaten up the fence line.  There is a slight grade on our side of the fence which really doesn't look like much, but my knee really doesn't appreciate the pressure that it feels when I'm standing there.  So  I took a nice big ibuprofen for my knee and had at it!!

I know this picture isn't all that grand, but I do feel so accomplished at cleaning out the area, both his fence and our fence where the drainage tubes are sitting.  I filled up several bags of cuttings as you can see sitting on the other side of the fence.


I have about another month before surgery, so I'm sure I'll have to go out a few more times to keep ahead of the game.  I don't know about after surgery...I won't worry about it but hope it gets taken care of eventually.

Herb and I went to Natorp's Nursery Outlet on Sunday.  Herb is like a kid in a candy store when it comes to plants.  Unfortunately, he really doesn't have the time to keep up with his plants, so some die, some just barely get by.  And, of course, when I have my surgery, he'll be helping me and perhaps doing some extra stuff like laundry.  I try to remind him all the time about how busy he is because I hate to see plants die, but I can't convince him not to buy his plants.  This is a part of what he bought Sunday.  Two lettuce plants, ten tomato plants and some other little plants I didn't want to get too attached to...I said a little prayer for each of them.  Did I mention we have deer and other wildlife that like to visit our yard?

 Oh well.  We are definitely different types of gardeners.  I like to keep plants simple....he likes them scattered and messy!

3 comments:

Marilyn said...

We had honeysuckle bushes along the one property line when we moved here. Kevin and Jim cut them back and dug out the roots. They are gone. Good luck with Herb's plants :)

TexWisGirl said...

be careful not to overdo it!

Nancy said...

I love honeysuckle -- the Major Wheeler kind, not the Japanese kind. Thanks for sharing! xo