Saturday, January 21, 2012

An Icy Winter Day

I was so busy trying to get things done on this icy winter day, I didn't even think about taking pictures until late in the day.  I knew I wouldn't be out hiking so my camera was the last thing on my mind.  However, here are a few pictures of my poor little backyard birds who were fighting over the seed and suet.  Even the grass was covered with ice, so it was difficult for them to find seed.


In the afternoon I "ice walked" over the patio to refill the thistle feeders as more goldfinch appeared to feast on the thistle.

Carolina Chickadee
"Brrrrrr.  We are cold!"  Mourning Doves

My sweet Carolina Wren




 Carolina Wren and Downy Woodpecker.
 Bright Northern Cardinal on this icy winter day.





 Carolina Wren looking for seed on the frozen ground.



 Tufted Titmouse.  Isn't he sweet?



 Northern Cardinal framed in ice.



 House Sparrows, Mourning Dove and Northern Cardinal.



 So striking!

1 comment:

TexWisGirl said...

the branches look beautiful, but i hate those iced in days! thankfully you didn't fall!