Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Feederwatch Bird Pictures Part I

I haven't blogged the last several days because I've been a bit lazy and I decided to concentrate a little on the Project Feederwatch Program that I've signed up to participate in this winter.  Project Feederwatch is a program through Cornell Lab of OrnithologyParticipants chose two days a week throughout the winter to watch their bird feeders and count the number of species they see at their feeders.  

Each week you enter your bird counts online and in this way you are helping science keep track of birds across the United States and Canada.  You can look up Project Feederwatch on the internet if you think you'd be interested in this fun project.

It has been a lot of fun so far this winter.  I never realized so many different kinds of birds were in our area.  I'm still learning a lot, and still confused on some of the birds.  I decided to take pictures of the birds in our back yard, so will be posting those over the next few days.  Most of these pictures are a little blurry, but I'm posting them any way.

The Tufted Titmouse and the Chickadees dart on and off the feeders so quickly, I am lucky to get any pictures of them at all.   So bear with me. 

The first picture is a gorgeous Red-bellied Woodpecker.



A Downy Woodpecker






 Back to the Red-bellied Woodpecker.







 Downy Woodpecker again.



 A Dark Eyed Junco.  Apparently, these guys are quite common in our area.  Funny I never noticed them before.  I like their contrast in colors.



 Another picture of the Dark Eyed Junco.  The little brown bird (I think) is a Purple Finch.  If someone else knows different please let me know.

This chubby little guy has become one of my favorites.  He/she is a Carolina Wren.  I love to hear their song.  Males and females look alike, and I only see one at a time.  So, I'm not sure if it's always the same one or different ones.  My goal is to see at least two together!  I understand they are shy little birds.  When I first saw him on the trunk of a tree darting around I thought it was a chipmunk by his coloring and striping around the eye.  He's a cute little guy, don't you think?
I will probably load up my blog with pictures of the Carolina Wren.



 

1 comment:

TexWisGirl said...

i think that's a sparrow - not sure what type; would have to look it up.

love all of these birds, though!