Monday, April 9, 2012

Rest in Peace My Dear Sweet Bandit

It's been awhile since I've posted a new blog post.  I've really been depressed since having to put my dear dog down.  He's been with us for 16+ years, but it was time.  The hardest part was deciding that it was time.  I couldn't hold on to him any longer.  I knew to continue to hold onto him, would be unfair to him. 

I really didn't want to write about it here...I just didn't feel up to it.  Yesterday was Easter and I finally just prayed to God to help me get out of the funk I was in.  Well, I found out that God has a sense of humor...and it came to me during Mass right after I prayed for His help.

During the prayer where the priest reads a list of saints, I heard the priest say "and for John and Paul", and in my head popped "and George and Ringo".  I couldn't help but smile to myself.  Then I thought of something the priest I work for said last week that made me chuckle.  I won't repeat it here, because it's not something unholy that he said, it just showed his human side.  It wasn't anything bad, just something he said that made me appreciate him as a human and not just a priest.  Any way, when I left church my depression had lifted after 10 long days. An Easter miracle? To me, it was!

The following are some pictures of Bandit during his final 24 hours.

A picture of our oldest son, Eric who came the night before to visit with Bandit one last time.



A couple of pictures of Bandit sitting with Herb.


Pictures of Bandit as we saw him more and more, just lying on the floor where his legs and his spirit just gave up.




A few pictures of Bandit on his last day in the back yard.  You can tell by the way he holds his head, he really wasn't with us completely any more.  He looks so sad.  His body language tells us that.  He may be on his feet in some of these pictures, but just barely.






Me and Bandit for one last time on the couch before we headed out to the vet.

Our daughter Emily and Bandit in the vet's parking lot.  I'm glad Emily was able to be there with us.

Me, Bandit and Emily in the vet's parking lot.  I tried to let him walk in, but he just wasn't following my lead and he wasn't going to make it all the way on his own.  I eventually had to pick him up and carry him in.



BANDIT
January 7, 1996 - March 29, 2012
Our dear sweet boy, who was so easy to love, but so hard to let go.
We will love and miss you forever.

1 comment:

TexWisGirl said...

i am very sorry, ginger. i know that pain well...