Friday, November 4, 2016

Blue Jay Alert!!!

I haven't been hiking the last week because I've been busy with other things, like getting my bird feeders ready for the Cornell Ornithology, Feeder Watch Program that will start soon. 

Herb, who works at Lowe's always brings home things he sees on special...most of the time, things we don't really need.  However, he brought home a new bird feeder hanging pole, so I can hang even more feeders!  I think it's more for hanging flower pots, but I claimed it as soon as he brought it home!

So I filled up some of the feeders to get the birds interested and coming back again.  I didn't really keep the feeders full over the summer. We also bought a bird bath...we should have had that during the summer, but better late than never.

I love blue jays and I'm always listening for them.  When I hike, I like the way they spread the alarm to all of the other forest creatures that we are coming and to be aware.  While in the house, one day, I heard all of this racket the blue jays were making.  I looked out, and spotted nine of them!!!  At the most, I've seen 2 or 3 at one time.  I don't know where they all came from this time, but it was fun seeing them all and trying to get all of their pictures.

Some of these pictures are not that great, but wanted to include all of the birds I could see.


Love this little trio:

And where did that Cardinal come from?  Such pretty colors, both blue and red!
This is my favorite picture.  I didn't realize there were 3 blue jays in this picture until I enlarged it.



2 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

they are such beauties. we take them for granted until someone from another country makes us realize how special they are. and i love their raucous behavior, too.

Marilyn said...

Enjoyed seeing the pictures of the bluebirds. I don't see many of them around here. I haven't kept my birdfeeders filled this summer either. However, yesterday I bought birdseed and new feeders. Plan to get them up today.