Friday, September 16, 2011

The Tale of the Mysterious Black Cat

 I have been quite distracted the last week or so because I have spotted a small black kitten along the edge of the woods in Winton Woods.  My husband and I have been spending a great deal of time and effort trying to catch this little guy.  He's so little and the weather is turning colder we want to rescue him and bring him home. 

We usually set up our little "trap" and spend 90 - 120 minutes there waiting and watching.  Sometimes we go several times a day.  We've almost had him several times, but usually our trap fails.  Today, I tried something different and again it failed.  We are also hampered by the fact that raccoons in the area either try for the food we leave or scare the little guy away.  I will post more on my little kitten soon.  In the meantime, here is a post about another black cat that caught my attention about 6 weeks ago.  Could this be my little kitten's mama?  I don't know, but I get angry every time I see a new cat or kitten living in the woods.  People who dump these cats in the woods are so heartless!!
 
Back earlier on my blog I posted a picture of a black cat who was hiding out in some tall grass.  At first, I thought he may just belong to someone who lives near Winton Woods and is just an "outdoor" cat.  I watched him for awhile and he eventually slunk away very quickly.  He was a very large cat.  He kind of reminded me of a dachshund because his body was so long, and because he slunk away he looked very short.  Here is the same picture I posted back then.



Quite a while later I spotted him again, on a different trail.  The new trail I spotted him on was not too far from the original trail.  This time I got a little better look at him, but unfortunately not necessarily a better picture.  I'm not sure about his legs.  Either they are very short, or he may be deformed.  I sure wish I could get a better look at him. 





I started leaving food for him in the woods almost on a daily basis.

The first time I left food, as I got back into my car I caught him heading right for it.



I haven't seen him for quite some time, but I still leave food for him and I also leave food for my Itty Bitty Kitty (the white little cat) that I posted about a while ago.  I don't know what happened to either one of them.  So either they, or some other critters are enjoying the food I leave. 






1 comment:

TexWisGirl said...

you are so sweet to leave food for them. good luck with that little kitten!